Wednesday, April 15, 2009

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Do you remember that nursery rhyme? Mary, Mary, Quit Contrary. How does your garden grow? With silver bells and cockle shells and pretty maids all in a row. Well I have no idea what cockle shells are (I have yet to identify several packets of mystery seeds that came in my HUGE seed box) but I am starting quite the garden.

If you live in my area, you are probably wondering how I am gardening with this weather. I have spent a few days gardening in rain and hail (much to my neighbor's entertainment, I'm sure) and the rest of the time I've been starting seeds indoors inside egg cartons. I have so many left over from Easter eggs that I could plant my whole box of seeds in them!

The vegetable garden is my next big project to tackle and it's going to be a big one. The whole family is arguing at this point on how to set it up, but we have agreed to plant as much as possible to feed my household, my parents, and my sisters. What we can't eat, we'll can. Which will be a whole new adventure for me. I'm really channeling my grandpa here, because even in failing health in his 80s he still managed to tend the most amazing gardens. Hopefully he will be my garden angel and watch over my crops.

For those of you getting the gardening itch as well, I'd like to pass on some inspiration. Some "veggie dust" if you will. First, if you are limited on space you have to check out this post on Paula's blog. She is a fellow team member and has mastered the art of square foot gardening. It really is amazing! Even if you aren't strapped for space, the concept of growing 100lbs of potatoes in just 4 square feet is incredible. Find out how here on Apartment Therapy's sister site Re-Nest.

And now, on to Etsy to get you set up with all the goodies you want and need to get you in the digging mood.

2 comments:

  1. well, i can tell you i was not expecting THIS!
    http://www.rhymes.org.uk/mary_mary_quite_contrary.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like nobody really knows what it means. Just like most nursery rhymes. I just remember it from being a child and I always thought of the pretty maids as being like the singing flowers in Alice in Wonderland.
    There were at least 3 explanations I saw, but who knows. I think people read so much in to things.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary,_Mary,_quite_contrary

    ReplyDelete